Thursday, October 25, 2007

Evil Stevil Character Design






Rough

Clean Up

Colour


So I'm on reading week and I've been focusing a lot on character design for "Evil Stevil Jumps Again" which is the group film I'm working on at Sheridan. I definitely like the body on the first guy way better than the second. I think I’m leaning towards that design. I'm on the fence about the peg leg though. I love the idea of the peg leg. It makes Evil Stevil’s design unique and is a quick and effective way to show his back story. It visually describes the kind of life he’s lead. He’s a dare devil, he SHOULD have some injuries, why not exaggerate that and show an obvious external injury. I’m still wondering if there’s a better way to include the peg leg…design-wise. Rather than just a stick of wood...maybe it could be like the end of a cane with a rubber stopper...or a piece of metal…shrapnel style...or a crutch-like contraption...I don't know. I’ll definitely continue to play around with that. The last thing is regarding the goggles. After getting used to drawing him without them I think he works better with just the plain helmet. I loved the goggles. I thought the redundant nature of having his goggles and old man glasses was pretty funny but at the same time it made his head pretty cluttered with detail. Plus, there’s a design rule I came across that says there needs to be gaps of space around areas of important detail...so...it’s probably better not to have his head too cluttered. Anyways, I’m excited to get back to work on the film after this reading week. It’s been an amazing experience so far. I’ve been working mainly as the story supervisor but I’ve made sure to get involved as much as I can in all aspects of pre production.