Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Evil Stevil Jumps Again: A Retrospective Look


So now that the film’s done, school’s done, and I’ve had a chance to settle into some relaxation, I figured it would be interesting to do a little retrospective piece on the experience I’ve had with the film over the past year. Here are a few things I learned through production of this film…some serious…some funny...some seriously funny:

1) Don’t over work a story.
2) Strong characters go a long way.
3) Maintaining continuity takes a lot of organization and communication.
4) Clean up is a bitch.
5) Adobe After Effects is God.
6) Energy drinks are your friend.
7) Sleep is for the weak.
8) Your peers are your greatest resource for learning.
9) When designing a character, be conscious of line mileage. (Tons of wrinkles and hairs suck.)
10) Entertainment value is everything.
11) You’re not making a film for yourself; you’re making it for an audience.
12) Animation is not just a career path, it’s a lifestyle.

Like any valuable life experience, this group film definitely had its ups and downs. As tedious as animation is as an art form…I forgot about any of the struggle we had, all the sleepless nights, any frustration…it totally vanished upon seeing our finished film at the screening. It was such a rewarding experience to have developed some stupid idea I came up with in the shower all the way to something tangible that an audience can enjoy.
All the 3rd year films turned out incredible, and as a class I think we can all be very proud. Each one had its own unique story and visual style. Now, of course I’m a little biased, but our group in particular took on a pretty ambitious film idea, that ended up being one of the longer films and I truly believe it was a success. As a group we were definitely fortunate to have ended up with one another. We had a strong bunch with such a wide variety of strengths to draw from and I’m thankful I got to share this experience with them.

I think the real eye opener for me, was when I started showing our film to my friends and family outside of the animation bubble, who know nothing about the technical side of it. I can sit and pick out every mistake in our film….every continuity error, every pixel that may be off….But does that matter?...Does that ruin the film? Absolutely not. I think as artists we tend to claim ownership of our work and can easily become selfish and want to create it for ourselves…but all art is nothing with out an audience. Animation especially, is a medium used to entertain others. Our audience enjoyed our film (thank god) and didn’t notice any of those nit-picky mistakes that only an animation nerd would. They see it for the story and for the characters. And that’s what it’s all about. If you can communicate a well developed story with engaging characters and have some funny drawings along the way, you will succeed in entertaining your audience and as an animator. (not to discredit the technical side of animation of course.)

Anyways, I went and made a bunch of screen captures of our film for you all to enjoy. I tried to pick frames with some of the more interesting facial expressions and such. Unfortunately I can’t post the actual film online because I think we want to submit it to a few festivals. I’ll be posting my own individual scenes shortly. But for now, take a look at the screen caps. I put the name of the person who did the particular scene under each picture.
Have a good one.


Matt


Haine


Jack

Igor


Frank

Frank


Frank


Frank


Frank


Frank

Frank


Frank


Frank


Frank


Frank

Frank


Frank


Veronika


Frank


Frank


Rory


Rory


Rory


Rory


Haine


Haine

Rory

Rory


Rory


Rory


Veronika


Jack


Kayla


Jason


Igor


Igor


Tracy


Tracy


Jack and Haine


Vivian and Rory


Vivian


Rory


Rory


Jack


Si Yeun


Veronika


What a ride. Can't wait to do it all again next year...but this time...on my own...*menacing music*

2 comments:

Tapan Gandhi said...

congrats, frank

you guys made a solid piece of art with this film, you all should be very proud :)

brockorama said...

Frank, that was pure poetry. You summed up the year for me perfectly. Thanks man. YOU AND TAPAN HAVE FUN IN LA!! Don't forget to visit your pal in Vegas at least once!