Thursday, May 29, 2008

John K.



So today was pretty damn cool. When I had my interview for 6PH, one of the questions I was asked was what animation artists inspire me. After listing a couple names I said "and John K. big time" to which my boss, Brenden, replied.."pshh, I can f***ing introduce you to him for sure." (his casual swearing actually really put me at ease during the interview haha..a well placed f bomb warms the heart) Brenden being a great guy whos taken all of us wide eyed Canadian interns under his wing stayed true to his word and got John to come in and talk to us all. Now i don't mean to get all sentimental, but when i was a kid Ren and Stimpy basically opened my eyes up to how much fun animation can be, and the limitless possibilities it holds. I learned to draw by watching those cartoons over and over and drawing what i saw on screen. I still remember the first time i saw ren and stimpy...I was asleep...my dad comes bursting into my room and woke me up saying "Frank! you gotta see this thing on TV...there's a cartoon cat looking for his FART!"....genious.

So anyways...a decade later...I'm in LA doing what I love..and I got to meet one of my largest influences...he gave us a very insightful talk on the "animation biz"...his honesty can come across as harsh at times...but he def knows what hes talking about and his passion for the art form is extremely evident. I'm a passionate guy myself...I think you have to have that passion to be an artist, and as most artists do...we have some pretty solid ideals of what our art should be, and what it should live up to. John genuinely wants the best to come out of the animation industry...and his words were extremely inspiring...I was lucky to meet this guy, fortunately everyone can check everything hes about at his blog...if you havent read through it...you should at:


http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/



Here are some experimental doodles John did on Painter during his visit...

pretty good stuff. I def had a nerd attack today







4 comments:

Tapan Gandhi said...

yeah it was a pretty awesome day

i'm happy that u got to meet him too!

"things to do before i die: #86 meet john k. - DONE!"

that must feel good

JohnK said...

Hey Frank

I might be having some cartoonists over tonight for beers.

See if if you wanna bring some of your 6 point buddies over.

cartoonmister@aol.com

Marc Deckter said...

Hey - good meeting you last night Frank. Welcome to LA!

Yuriy Sivers said...

unbelievable